About Me

I decided to write this blog basically for myself, to get my thoughts organized each day, and keep myself focused on what really matters... the family God has given me, and learning to love them better each 'new day' He gives me.

Friday, March 18, 2011

It's been a while

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I wrote! Things are considerably better since the last entry, thank the Lord! Being broken is not fun, but seeing God start the work of healing and restoration is a good thing, and I am slowly learning to rest in His peace, and trust Him for my tomorrows.

Which brings me to my James study. Ugh. This has been TOUGH. I've heard friends say in the past that they were never able to complete a study in James, and now I know why. James doesn't mess around, he gets right to the heart of the matter, literally. For example, today I read James 4:17--"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." Ouch. Was it the Apostle Paul who talked about warring with the flesh, knowing the right thing to do and yet not doing it, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak? So this struggle to do what is right is not a new concept to me, but to acknowledge a wrong choice as sin is definitely sobering.

The funny thing is, I say it to my kids all the time. ALL THE TIME. Mirror needed at table one. Yikes! I'm always trying to impress upon them that knowing what is right and doing what is wrong is a choice, and it's sin, and that all sin is against holy God. HELLO. I am in need of a new perspective, or a broader vision, apparently. Thank you, James.

I've also been challenged that my faith must be visible to anyone who looks at me/my life; that while my salvation is not dependent on works, works will produce fruit, which is my calling as a Christian. And I can't forget about humility, acknowledging that the God Who knows how many hairs are on my head also knows how many days comprise my life, and that any success or gain apart from Him means nothing in light of eternity. If I am to boast, I am to boast only in what He has done in, through, and for me.

Even when I'm broken.

"Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:10).

God is good, all the time. He brought a group of 9 women together from Canada, the UK, and the US, to work through this study online, encouraging each other and keeping each other accountable through daily emails. I am so grateful for my Good Morning Girls! Looking forward to the next study, and hoping--if the Lord wills--to someday meet you all in person!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see a bloggy update from you. I was beginning to think I was somehow missing them!

    Every day I am amazed at how God brought us all together in such a seemingly 'random' way to learn from His word and encourage each other.

    Looking forward to next week's challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Anne from GMG! I love how this blog post fits with today's verse....bearing fruit! Off to browse some more x

    ReplyDelete